The way that I use my router is basically as an ethernet splitter, and to make my own wifi signal. In case anyone else has multiple devices in their room that need ethernet, this is a rough guide of how to set it up. These instructions are for the router I have, which is the Linksys WRT54G.
- The first thing to do is install DD-WRT. It allows a lot more control over the router. Mine is running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro, a horribly outdated version.
- The next thing is to plug in a cable from the ethernet port to the internet in port on the router.
- Go to 'Setup' and set up a router name, and change the Local IP Address. Mine is set to 10.31.208.2. This is the address you'll connect to.
- Go to 'Wireless', and set the SSID name. The 'Wireless Security' subtab allows you to set it to WPA2 and add a password.
- Go to 'Security', disable the SPI Firewall, make sure all additional filters are off, and only Filter IDENT and block anonymous wan requests are checked.
Update from the future: According to this for Greenprint, the ports 515 and 28203 must be open.